World War I
June 28 - Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassinated in
July 28 - Austria-Hungary declares war on Russia.
- August 1 - Germany declares war on Russia.
- August 3 - Germany declares war on France.
- August 4 - Great Britain declares war on Germany.
- August 4 - Germany invades neutral Belgium.
- August 26-30 - Battle of Tannenberg.
- August - Battle of Togoland.
- August - The Pursuit of the Goeben and the Breslau.
- September - First Battle of Aisne.
- September - Battle of Lemberg.
- September 5-10 - First Battle of the Marne.
- October-November - First Battle of Ypres.
- November - Battle of Lodz.
- December 25 - Unofficial Christmas Truce on the Western Front.
- January 19 - First German zeppelin air raid on England.
- February 4 - Any ship approaching Britain is considered a legitimate target as Germany declares a submarine blockade of England.
- February - Battle of Masuria.
- March - Battle of Neuve-Chapelle.
- March-December - Battles of Aubers Ridge and Festubert.
- April 22-May 5 - Second Battle of Ypres. First use of chemical weapons.
- April 23 - Allied assault on Gallipoli.
- May 7 - Lusitania sunk.
- May - Battle of Gorlice-Tarnow.
- August 30 - Responding to American demands, Germany stops sinking ships without warning.
- September 5 - Tsar Nicholas commander of Russian armies.
- September-October - Battle of Artois & Champagne.
- September-October - Battle of Loos.
- December 7 - David Lloyd George becomes Prime Minister of Britain.
- December 28 - Allied withdrawal from Gallipoli.
- December-April, 1916 - Siege of Kut.
- February 21-December 18 - Battle of Verdun.
- May-June - Trentino Offensive.
- May 31 - Battle of Jutland.
- June 4 - The Brusilov Offensive.
- July 1-November 18 - Battle of the Somme.
- November 7 - Woodrow Wilson re-elected.
- December 31 - Rasputin murdered.
- February 1 - Unrestricted submarine warfare declared by Germany, again.
- February 24 - The Sinking of the Laconia.
- March 15 - Tsar Nicholas abdicates.
- March-September - Russia collapses.
- April 6 - United States declares war on Germany.
- April 16-29 - Chemin des Dames Offensive.
- April - Battle of Arras & Vimy Ridge.
- April - Nivelle Offensive.
- June - Battle of Messines.
- July 6 - Aquaba captured by Arabs led by T.E.Lawrence.
- July 16-November 10 - Third Battle of Ypres.
- August 6 - Aleksander Fyodorovich Kerensky appointed Prime Minister of Russia.
- October - Battle of Caporetto.
- November 7 - Kerensky's government overthrown by Bolsheviks.
- November 10 - British reach Passchendaele.
- November - Battle of Cambrai.
- December 3 - German-Russian armistice.
- December 9 - Jerusalem captured by British.
- January 8 - President Wilson presents 14-point plan.
- March-June - Ludendorff Offensive.
- June-July - Piave Offensive.
- July 16-17 - Bolsheviks murder Tsar Nicholas and his family.
- August 8 - Allied counter-offensives on the Somme.
- September 29 - Allies break through the Hindenberg Line.
- September-October - Battle of Megiddo.
- September - St. Mihiel Offensive.
- September-November - Battle of Meuse-Argonne.
- October 28 - German sailors mutiny.
- November 9 - Kaiser Wilhelm abdicates.
- November 10 - German republic founded.
- November 11 - Armistice signed.
- June 28 - Treaty of Versailles signed.
War of 1812
World War I
World War II